And so another season of un-entertaining cricket for the Victorian (Labour in Vain) Quokkas was crowned with an entertaining evening of celebration in the manner only known as THE GOWNLOWS.
Taking up residence in the Grace Darling Hotel, the second-oldest pub in Melbourne, in the very room in which the Collingwood Football Club was formed, the Quokkas celebrated their own recent season with a count of the votes given, match reports read and awards presented for outstanding efforts.
Highlights of the season were also observed, including the $5,000 raised for charity (Kickstart for Kids and the McGrath Foundation), the match against the Victorian Blind Cricket Association and of course the match against The Pinnacle Hotel (our win!).
Joe “Lonely” Miller-Norman ended up taking out the Best & Fairest Award on a count back, after initially polling the same number of votes as Pup, though receiving more 3 votes for the games he played in.
Bad luck to Pup, though he has years to exact revenge.
Bad luck also to Ed, who now has to listen to Lonely bang on about this win, as well as the “Mighty Teal“.
Other winners for the evening included:
- Most Runs AND Most Wickets: Ed
- Best Player at the Big Day Not Out: Robbo
- Worst Player at the Big Day Not Out: Phantom (also picked up the award for the most runs against in an over; 28)
- The Sledgehammer Award for Sensitivity: J Rod
- The Zoe Goss Award for being dismissed by a female: Emu
- The J Rod Death Bowling Award: Curto (for being hit for 14 runs off 3 balls to lose the game with an over left)
- The Bruce Reid Award for Batting: The Rev
Thanks everyone for a great season, here’s looking to season 2014/15.