Sunday, December 18th
Alphington Park, Alphington
The Big Picture:
This is the last game for the Quokkas in 2016, which has been a massive year for the club, with games in Nerrena, Colombo and Galle (also known as Crickets “Big Three”).
I’ve always been confused by the expression “results haven’t gone their way” as the result is not a determinant, its an outcome. If you change the determinant (e.g. the outcome of the game) then the result will automatically change. Its got no impact at all.
Anyway, the results haven’t gone the way of The Quokkas so well in the last half of 2016, with one win and three losses. They would certainly like to go into Christmas with one more win under their belts (another expression I’m not a fan of).
The Quokkas have had little trouble in scoring runs this season, with 454 runs being scored at a strike rate of 1.12, which is normally a competitive total in the YPCA. The main issue has been around taking wickets, we have only taken 18 + 4 run outs / stumpings, meaning each wicket costs 28.72 runs.
The main issue here is catching. The Quokkas put down at least 7 chances in the last game, including 1 drop per over for the first 4 overs after drinks. Some may suggest less in the way of drinks, but they can get stuffed.
In the Spotlight:
Snipper returns for his second game of the year, which could be another reason why The Quokkas have struggled so much; he scored 33 runs (including the winning 6), took 3/8 and held a screamer in his only appearance this season. Not that there is any pressure on him or anything…
The other man from 400 Acres, Radar, returns to us this week, offering a mix of pace bowling, big hitting and even wicket-keeping if required.
The nearly-hero from the last time we played The Rose at Alphington, Ed, returns to this squad this week and slots quite loosely into the fragrant Captains Jacket. Ed should be pleased with the players listed as available, being:
- Big Dog
- Dutchy (w/k)
- Nickname AW
Pitch and Conditions:
The Alphington Park ground is one of the most picturesque in the YPCA, resting by the banks of the Yarra with a lovely white Grandstand and playground nearby. Its really quite lovely.
The BOM is predicting a top of 20 with some cloud cover, so it could well be torrential rain or desert-like heat, based on how accurate their other predictions have been this year.
Stats & Trivia:
- Its been a good season with the Bat for the Quokkas so far this season, Dutchy and Alex lead for runs scored per over with averages of 10.2 and 10.1 respectively, the team average is 5.9
- Dutchy also has the highest amount of runs scored by boundaries (78%), unless you count Radar (100%), Chef is on 71% while Local is on his heals with 70%
- The Quokkas have hit 50 fours and 9 sixes in total in the YPCA this season
- Things haven’t been so great with the ball, with the team giving away 7.2 RPO, though they do average a wicket every 4 overs
- Snipper has the best RPO (conceded) average of 2.7, the next best are Matty (3.0) and J Rod (3.3). Unfortunately the last 2 mentioned are not playing.
- Tuesday hit his 251st career run in the last match, he is currently 12th on the all-time runs scored list with an average of 22.82