Alphington Park, Vere Street
The Big Picture:
After winning the first two games of the season, the Quokkas have reverted to form and lost the last two on the bounce. That being said, the first lost was only by 6 runs and the second was a close contest against The Dan O’Connell and one of the best all-round efforts that The Quokkas have ever put together in the YPCA.
Well done lads.
If they are able to take this form into Sundays game against The Pinnacle, they are a good chance to finish 2017 with a win.
The Pinnacle is a team we have had mixed results against, but also one that has provided many classical YPCA moments; not least when their Captain got so drunk that he passed out, leading to one of the most disjointed post match speeches of all time when he was roused from uner the pile of kit that had been piled on him.
In the Spotlight:
He’s been in the spotlight more than Kermit the Frog, though Dutchy does wave his arms in the air a helluva a lot less than the little green frog.
The man in the hot-pink lycra is in equally hot form this season, taking catches behind the stumps, taking wickets when he comes on to bowl and – oh yeah – he hit 72 off 35 balls in the last game.
Dutchy has already passed 100 runs for the season (112) from 3 innings (2 not out), facing 53 balls and hitting 11 of them for 6 (20%)!
James “VP” Gow comes in for his record third game for the season and this will also be his first as Captain.
Once again, the week starts with The Quokka bus is bursting at the sides, though it remains to be seen if it will be its normal semi-vacant self by Sunday.
The squad for the game (at the time of writing) is:
- VP (c)
- Big Dog
Pitch and Conditions:
Alphington Park is one of the prettier grounds in the YPCA, with a lovely white grandstand at the northern end and feint traces of asbestos floating past from the construction site over the road.
This is also the park where Tuesday, a welcome inclusion back in the squad, once hit a ball for 8.
After sweltering through the hottest November in Melbourne since the Big Bang, the local weather has forced Crowded House to change the name of its song from ‘4 seasons in one day’ to ‘4 seasons in one season’ as a result of the ridiculous volume of rain and cold.
Hopefully things dry up a bit ahead of Sunday.
Stats and Trivia:
- Without banging on about him too much, Dutchy is on a hat-trick. Nearly impossible in the Pub League but he has managed it. He may need to bribe VP with a few Moon Dogs to get a go at some of the Pinnacles lesser-batters (if they exist)
- The Dutchman is also now on 907 career YPCA runs for the Quokkas, the record and the thousand mark may well be beat this season. This will also be his 50th YPCA match for the Quokkas
- Not to say he’s half the man, but this will be Jays 25th appearance for the Quokkas
- The Gow brothers are 3rd for matches played by brothers in the same team for the Quokkas (4), behind the Curtins (13) and the Nichols (8), but are closing the gap and are wellnahead of the Hentys (1)
- Alex and the Big Dog are close to new records, with 489 and 198 career runs respectively
- This will be Radars 30th YPCA match for the Quokkas
- There is a laneway in Dandenong named “Lois Lane” – I kid you not.