Sunday, January 9th 2022
WJ Cox Oval, Yarra Bend
The Big Picture:
Happy New Year. There is probably a parallel universe somewhere in which Marti Pellow sings “Covid is all around me” while the world has love spread uncontrollably, but it isn’t this universe – this one is quite the opposite.
While the global spread of a deadly virus is quite the macro view of where the world is at, this impending match is quite the micro view of where the YPCA is at.
Forced out to a remote ground that is girt by Bunyips, with two proud teams in The Royston and The Rainbow having to combine a side to make up an XI.
It wasn’t that long ago that the YPCA had teams falling over themselves to get into the league and were battling out matches on the grandeur of Alfred Crescent oval.
The planet, and the league, are becoming much less care-free places and we are going to have to work together to succeed.
On more micro issues still, a review of our last couple of matches against the Royston (both losses) shows that Local has Captained both. Little surprise he is omitted (camping) for this one.
As the Quokkas certainly haven’t had much success on the field against either The Rainbow or The Royston of late, or ever, it is little surprise that both are licking their lips to have a little nibble on our Quokka legs.
The games have, though, always been played in the right spirit and also been plenty of fun.
Again, Happy New Year.
The Quokkas are coming off their first loss of the Summer, to the Rainbow, but have been in unprecedented form otherwise.
In the Spotlight:
The singleted, cycling saviour from the South West, Sizzle, returns this week to spin the ball sideways spectacularly. Try saying that ten times fast.
We have missed the Sizzle since he moved down the coast, though his cryptic crossword contributions have certainly been welcome on the group chat.
Handy in the field (particularly while punching darts), a good holding bowler and capable of literally hitting it into the WJ Cox oval car park (as we have seen in the past), we welcome him back with open arms.
With COVID ripping through the Quokka bio-bubble ahead of Sunday, we have already had to make one change, with more expected before the big day.
The squad, at the time of writing and no particular order is:
- James Gow
- The Animal
- J Rod (c)
- Tim B Chapman (pending test results)
- Ami’s mate
It should be noted that J Rod has already awarded himself 6 votes for the game.
Pitch and Conditions
WJ Cox Oval may be affectionately referred to as “one for mosquito enthusiasts” or “a destination for those that like to lose cricket balls in snake territory”, it does at least offer sanctuary from the demanding public.
The weather is supposed to be nice on Sunday with a top of 24 and possibly no rain after several days of Summer thunderstorms. This will be welcomed by the likes of The Animal and Jay who will be able to use the conditions to make the ball swing harder than Edna St Vincent Millay.
Stats & Trivia
- This will be Radars 50th YPCA game for the Quokkas, congratulations to the man with the awesome tattoos – 726 runs at 20.74 and a high score of 37, while also taking 15 wickets at 34 and going for 6.5 runs per over
- This will also be Dutchy’s 100th total appearance for the Quokkas; 75 YPCA games, 8 Big Day Not Outs, 10 T20 games, 5 VBCA games and 1 match in Sri Lanka (missed the other with a severe case of Hanoi beers) – Congratulations to the man in the orange van
- Dutchy and Radar are also having an interesting competition for most dismissals (catches and run outs); both are sitting on 34
- It’s getting pretty competitive in the fight for 4th spot on the all-time YPCA wickets list, with; yours truly (35), J Rod (34), Alex (32) and Jay (34) all battling it out
- I picked up my 400th career YPCA run in the last game. Watch out Dutchy.