Cnr Heidelberg Road and Yarra Bend Road
2pm (not 1pm)
The Big Picture…
…Is a movie from the 80s starring Kevin Bacon. Of course it is.
I don’t recommend it.
The Quokkas are in incredible form this season; scoring runs, defending big totals and having fun along with it.
We started off the new decade with a win under the veteran eye of J Rod, much like Saron from those stupid movies about small, hairy people who struggle to dispose of jewellery, but without the jewellery.
In the YPCA, the Quokkas are 4 and 1 this season, with the 1 being a lot of bloody fun and a close game too.
In short, the Quokkas are flying like short, hairy flying things.
In the Spotlight:
After a couple of leaner years by his standards, Local has turned his stats around, being one of the few players (with more than 20 games) who has scored more runs than he has conceded (449 v 446).
Much of this success with the ball in hand may be down to either the reduced run up, or the increased grunt, or perhaps a combination of both. Or even just bowling straight and at the stumps. It’s a mystery.
Still, respect must go to the bearded wanderer for his continual improvement.
It’s been a great season for recruitment, with Sandy playing his debut game last week and a couple of new recruits coming down for a net. Probably says a bit that we haven’t always had room for new players on match days too.
The squad for this week, at the time of writing, is below:
- Big Dog
- J Rod
- SPECIAL ©
- The Animal
- Flanders (Revs neighborino)
Pitch and Conditions:
Fairfield is a bloody lovely ground, with boundaries able to be set almost as far away as Alphington without disrupting a family picnic. That being said, who likes chasing the ball that far?
The weather has been a little bit different in Melbourne for the last month or so, you might even be inclined to think that the climate might be changing.
That said, its supposed to be a bit over cast on Sunday with a top of 26. Will make for a great day out should the smoke haze clear.
Stats and Trivia:
There was a little concern for my intern given that Stats and Trivia weren’t available in the last Match Preview due to their illness, so I’ve had them garrotted. Please make the new intern, who shall remain nameless, welcome.
- Big Dog sits on 99 runs for the season and is well positioned to take out the batting award if his hot streak (with no batting average) continues
- SPECIAL comes into this game as Captain for the first time, having passed 100 career YPCA runs in his last game. A proper batter, this weeks captain is yet to hit a 6 and has scored 27% of his runs through boundaries. The loud one has also become a weapon with the ball, going for only 6.05 runs per over
- VP is coming in off his best batting innings, smoking 14 runs in quick time. The man who spends more time in Church than he would probably like is now on 46 career YPCA runs, needing only one big swipe to take him to the 50. Go you good thing.
- The Animal has only batted in 42% of the games he has played in, if he takes guard in this match he will move up to the 50% mark. A more cynical person may think he is going for the ‘Best Clubman’ award. Which we don’t have.